1) Candy corn. This staple candy of Halloween is actually disgusting, and does not deserve to be blessed with the name “candy” as that implies it tastes good. This colorful mush tastes more like stale marshmallows.
2) Annoying neighbors who give out toothpaste. The only thing worse than neighbors who give out candy corn are the ones who think it’ll be funny to hand out toothpaste. While not everyone wants to share their candy stash with strange people ringing their doorbell, this is just cruel. Please turn your lights off so no innocent children have to suffer.
3) Tacky decorations. Seriously, what is with all the fake spider webs? There is a reason why Halloween decorations are so cheap; it’s because they’re terrible. Houses who go all out with decorations are unnecessary anyways, just save your money for some better candy.
4) Sometimes people just don’t want to be scared. This one may speak for itself, but having to walk around passing super realistic zombies and killer clowns is more of a punishment than a holiday for those who just want to enjoy the candy like everyone else. Also, just because someone doesn’t enjoy a haunted trail or haunted house, does not mean they are a “Halloween Grinch”, they just don’t enjoy people in costumes jumping out and frightening them.
5) Costumes can be super expensive. No one wants to be the person with the cheap costume they picked up at Spirit the night before, but is it really worth it to spend $500 for a decent Batman costume? Especially since you can’t even wear it again the next year or you will also be considered lame? C’mon, don’t restrict awesome costumes to the rich.
6) Disgusting Halloween-themed foods. Who ever came up with the idea that food on Halloween should be disgusting and unappetizing anyways? Let us eat without getting sick please.
7) There’s always a costume that goes too far, one way or another. You’d think people who want to dress up and flaunt their costume around town would have some common sense about what is and isn’t okay, but as shown by the Kim Kardashian robbery costume below, all hope for humanity is lost forever.
8) Does anyone even know what Halloween is about? Here’s a hint, it’s not candy. Halloween is thought to have originated from the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, where people would have bonfires and wear costumes to scare off ghosts. Halloween was originally ‘All Hallows Eve’ to signify the day before the new year as designated by Pope Gregory the Third. The average person today just sees it as a time to walk around for free food.
9) There is no more ‘trick’. There’s no point in saying “Trick or treat” unless you actually intend on playing a trick on those annoying toothpaste-giving neighbors — this is why they won’t ever share their candy.
10) Clowns. Especially this year, clowns are even more terrifying and threatening, and Halloween is the perfect excuse for creeps to dress up and terrorize innocent civilians.
Megan Rosen, Associate Editor-in-Chief
Junior Megan Rosen is the Associate Editor-in-Chief of The Colonel. She is on the varsity tennis team at Ledyard and also enjoys playing volleyball and basketball. When she is not in school, you can often find her shopping or eating waffles and drinking smoothies.