May 19 was a huge day for not only for the United Kingdom, but the world as citizens speculated about what the wedding of Prince Harry and American actress Meghan Markle would entail. The exciting day took place at St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle in the United Kingdom as 600 people watched the ceremony inside and about 2,640 people viewed on the grounds of the Windsor Castle.
Going from the status of American actress to the Duchess of Sussex is a life-altering occurrence that will require adjustment. As the new Duchess, Meghan Markle will now have to learn how to get used to having around the clock security and follow etiquette as crazy as having to go to bed after the Queen.
Being the new Duchess of Sussex must have its perks, but here are a few odd things that Meghan Markle will no longer be able to do:
- Eat Shellfish. In the past, members of the Royal family who have eaten shellfish have had food poisoning or allergic reactions, therefore it is highly advised that the Royals no longer eat shellfish.
- Take Selfies. This odd rule was created to prevent “fans” from turning their back to royals, which is considered a big no-no, and instead make eye contact and encourage conversation.
- Sign Autographs. This will be a major change for the former actress but is very important. Royals are not allowed to sign autographs, as their signature may be forged. Royals are only allowed to sign official documents.
- Dark Nails. The new Duchess is not allowed to get a dark colored or any colored manicure.
- Play Monopoly. Many sources have rumored that the Royal Family is banned from playing Monopoly, whether that is because of the arguments that resulted from it is unknown.
- Cross Legs. It is frowned upon for the Royal Family to cross their legs; their legs and knees must be kept together, but they are allowed to cross their ankles.
- Eat Before or After the Queen. There are strict rules when eating with royalty. Nobody should begin eating their meal before the queen does and pay attention for when she stops eating, so they do not continue.
- Public Outings. Now that Meghan Markle is a part of the Royal Family she will always be seen out in public with security.
- Go to Bed Before the Queen. It is frowned upon for anyone staying with a monarch to go to bed before them, luckily the 92-year-old isn’t known for staying up all hours of the night.
- Travel in Everyday Clothing. All royals are required to travel with their mourning clothes. Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip were visiting Africa when King George passed away and had to travel back in their regular clothes because they were without mourning attire, and this rule was implemented as a way of preventing that from happening again.
The adjustments may be challenging, but should be worth it for the American actress.
Emily Nixie, Staff Writer
Sophomore Emily Nixie is a staff writer for the 2017-2018 Colonel. At LHS she participates in Key Club and enjoys playing volleyball and spending time with her dogs. She also loves kiwi and pancakes.